These are the absolute best 5 exercises to lose belly fat. They are tried and tested by us, just give them a go for a week and you will be amazed at the results. Choose 2 or 3 of the exercises to do each day to really start a fire in your belly!
Normal crunches are great but give bicycle crunches a go, to really target your obliques.
1. Start by lying flat on your back with your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor.
2. Raise your right elbow and left knee at the same time, as though you are trying to make them touch, then lower them and next raise your left elbow to your right knee. You can cradle the back of your neck with your hands. This is one rep.
3. You are trying to move your legs in a cycling motion whilst softly touching opposing knees to elbows. Be sure to almost straighten your other leg out as you complete the move. It can be hard to get everything moving in sync at first, but you will soon master the motion.
4. We suggest starting with 3 sets of 15 reps to get you started and you can build on this.
Check out the video to see this move in action…
This is a simple move to get to grips with and can be highly beneficial if done correctly.
1. The key is to get the alignment right. Start with your body in a push up position, arms shoulder width apart and legs straight.
2. Then, slowly lower onto your elbows, clasp your hands loosely together and keep your body straight. Be sure to keep your lower back close enough to the ground that you booty is not sticking up in the air. From your shoulders to your ankles your body should be in more or less a straight line.
3. Hold for 60-120 seconds dependent on your ability. Your abs will be on fire!
These are a great total body exercise. You are engaging your core because you are starting from a plank position. Your shoulders have to stabilize your upper body and your triceps have to work isometrically to keep you in place.
1. Start in a push-up position with your arms straight and your body in a straight line from your head to your ankles.
2. Without changing the posture of your lower back (it should be arched), raise your right knee toward your chest.
3. Pause, return to the starting position and repeat with your left leg. That’s one rep.
4. You can start by doing 20 reps and build this up to 3 sets over time.
Check out the video to see how it’s done…
This is slightly trickier than a normal plank and should be attempted once you have built up some core strength through the other exercises.
1. This move simply involves planking on your side i.e. your body is straight and you hold yourself up on one of your elbows or straightened out arms. Tip: It is easier when you first do this move to support yourself on your elbows.
2. Slowly raise your hips from the ground, supporting yourself on your left elbow and then switch to the other side, holding for 30-60 seconds on each side.
This is a great exercise to work your core and tighten those abdominals.
1. Grab a medicine ball, dumbbell, or weight plate (you can also do this without a weight and just clasp your hands together) and sit on the floor with your knees bent at a 90 degree angle and legs raised a couple of inches from the ground. Hold the weight straight out in front of you and keep your back straight (your torso should be at about 45 degrees to the floor).
2. Then, twist the weight to the left, back to the center and then to the right. This is one rep.
3. Repeat for 20 reps.